Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Training Young Boatnerds



We arrived back at our cabin on the St. Marys River yesterday afternoon. Two of my grandchildren came with my daughter and me. We began seeing boats right away. Traffic has been brisk, by today's standards, since we got there.

Madelynn is using the telescope to get a close-up look at the boats this morning. Last night we were returning from my parents in the Soo and we saw the Paul R. Tregurtha heading down the river and the supply boat was along side transferring supplies to the 1,000 footer. It is amazing to see because both are still moving while all the work is going on. The kids are learning to love boat watching too. Madelynn enters our sightings into my spreadsheet on the computer and even adds cute notes. Pretty good for a 10 year old.

Along with our fun, we have lots of yard work to get done because we were gone for a week. Everything grows fast and lush here. The short growing season along with the extra sunlight here because we are so far north makes for plants that rush to grow and mature. Here Jay is weeding the flower bed outside my backdoor and even the sidewalk needs weeding.

This is the Montrealais heading up the river. We have also seen the Dorothy Ann and Pathfinder, the Ojibway, Frontenac and Agawa Canyon.
Jay and I spend a wonderful hour sitting in the front yard this morning, watching the boats, reading and enjoying my fragrant trees-this rose and the mock orange in the next picture.

What a wonderful time in the Upper Peninsula when the flowers are in all their glory and the weather is delightfully cool and sunny.

5 comments:

Bill K. said...

I saw the Montrealis around 12:30 PM into the Locks and saw the Koningsborg (Wagonborg Salty) headed up to the locks around 7:30 PM. She was running empty.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could come spend an afternoon in your yard!!! What a wonderful location to be!! Our guests are always so excited when they return from the locks! They thoroughly enjoy watching the freighters go through. Some guests said they hung around for a LONG time before actually seeing a ship pass but it was worth the wait.

Soo Boat Watcher said...

Cathy, I wish you could spend an afternoon in my yard too. Sometime, we have to meet each other face to face. If you ever run to the Soo, we are very close by so maybe that might work. The new Walmart opens next Wednesday!

Bill K. said...

We should all meet when Cathy comes to town and have coffee or something. That way we get to know each other. Maybe meet at Clydes or Franks.

Soo Boat Watcher said...

Sounds good to me Bill. We could even meet at my house and to get to know each other in person. I love the internet!

Cathy, Are you game? Some time when you come to the Soo, give me a call.