Friday, August 15, 2008

J.P. Morgan Jr.


I found this photo of the J.P. Morgan Jr. in some items that were in my aunt's estate. Notice the extensive damage showing on the boat. Some investigation showed me that this damage occurred when the J.P. Morgan Jr. collided head-on with the 480 foot freighter Crete on June 23, 1948 in dense fog off the Devil's Island in the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior. The Morgan was loaded with almost 13,000 tons or ore and down bound while the Crete was up bound in ballast. The pilot house and forward crew quarters of the Morgan Jr. were severely damaged.

If any of you have additional information about the Morgan, please share it with us in the comment section or email it to me at bbenedict07@gmail.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have an old color enhanced photo of the J.P. Morgan prior to the collision. Do you have any details as to when she was constructed? Tom