Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Herbert C. Jackson in the Fog


 When we woke this morning, we were treated to having a boat closer than normal.  The Herbert C. Jackson was anchored in the anchorage area because of the dense fog.  I don't know how long she had been there but we enjoyed a closer look than normal.  One of my friends suggested that I invite the captain in for coffee.  We were drinking our morning coffee and I think that maybe he was too.  So I can say I had coffee with the captain this morning!



When a ship is anchored, they always face into the current.  When the fog had lifted the Jackson had to turn around because they were actually headed downbound.  We were treated to watch them raise the anchor and turn around.  The St. Marys River doesn't appear that wide but there is plenty of room for the maneuvers.

Here's the pictures of the process.





 Now she is underway and heading for her next stop. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting! And I don't get views like that with my coffee! I'm happy to just be able to drink coffee again though!