Monday, August 10, 2009

Trouble in the St. Marys River

Yesterday a 'no contact' order was issued for our part of the St. Marys River. I don't ever remember this happening before and I don't know the source of the problem. I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

HEALTH ADVISORY ISSUED FOR UPPER PENINSULA RIVER
Hot temperatures this week are going to have many people in the viewing
area heading for the beach. But there's one area the Chippewa County
Health Department says people need to stay away from. The lower St.
Mary's River down to Neebish Island is under a "no contact body advisory."
The Health Department issued the advisory early yesterday morning after a
sewage overflow was released into the river. They say people should avoid
body contact with the water until they announce the situation clears up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard about that on the news this a.m. I think I'd be boiling my drinking water too, just to be safe!!

Bill K. said...

They had a similar advisory a few years ago because of the Canadian Sewer release into the river across from Sugar Island. It lasted about 6 months if memory serves. I would avoid eating any fish coming up the river also.

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

There has been a serious problem along the north shore of Sugar Island for several years with e.coli contamination and sewage washing up on the shore. Residents suspected it was coming from the Soo, Ontario treatment plant. The Chippewa County, Michigan and Ontario authorities have been doing a lot of work over the last few years in monitoring the water quality. Two years ago (I think, time flies) there was a no contact order for the whole summer for the north shore of the island.

Nancy