Thursday, August 27, 2009

Back on the River

The Calloway just went up. I took this picture last year.


Tom & I arrived back at the Cabin last night and found things in good order. Our kind neighbors kept the grass cut. That is how things work in our neighborhood. The people next door have very similar lifestyles to us. They are retired with a home here and one down state with lots of travel between. Our neighbor's mother is also in an assisted living home just like Tom's mother and that means we like to see our mother's often too so there is lots of travel downstate and back. Whoever cuts the grass tries to do both yards if possible. It works great for both of us.

Last night was so cool that we finally lit our furnace and I'm glad we did. We had gotten through the entire summer without the furnace with the thought that it was going to warm up soon. We used an electric heater many mornings but we gave up last night with the temperature forecast to be in the low 40's. It actually only got to 47 degrees but I was so happy to have it warm in here this morning.

I woke up around 3 AM and couldn't sleep but I could just enjoy the beauty of the St. Marys River at night and sat and watched the clear night and many blinking lights on the river. The stars were out in full force and there was a boat coming up the river which made a wonderful picture because it was fully lit up.

This morning the Cason J. Calloway just went up stream, sounding a salute out front a bit up from us. I've heard the Calloway do that before so there must be someone living there that the crew knows. I would love to get a boat to sound a salute for me. I'm now friends with several crew members on Facebook and absolutely love the pictures and videos they post. I'm seeing what sights they see from the ship as they travel the Great Lakes.

My small vegetable garden has been sorely neglected so that is the order for the day once the dew burns off and it warms up a bit. There might even be some veggies out there to harvest for a great dinner.

1 comment:

Bill K. said...

It's great to have you back up in the area. Missed your reports. I've been in and out of the area due to doctor's. I'm going to be gone part of next month. I have a school at Higgin's Lake for Service Officers for Disabled American Veterans (DAV) and American Legion. It will be on September 11 until 13th and then I have to go to Petoskey on Monday the 14th for my wife to have Surgery. It's going to be a long month.

Saw a few of the Ships in the locks today but didn't have a chance to see the names.

Again, glad to see you back. Did you have any luck with the house down state? Are you going to move up here permanently?