Saturday, August 27, 2011

Congestion at The Locks


I

This afternoon the Burns Harbor was sliding by heading up to The Locks.  I noticed that she was proceeding very slowly.  So I checked the computer to see if there was another boat in the Poe Lock.  Actually there were 2 thousand-foot boats at the Locks.  So the Burns Harbor was the 4th footer waiting at one time for passage through the Locks.  Also at The Locks was the Stewart J. Cort, the Walter J. McCarthy and I can't remember the 4th one.  That's what I get for not writing it down.


 In the afternoon, my husband and I were volunteering at the Masters Walleye Circuit Tournament in the Soo.  He helped stage trucks and boats for weigh-in and I took pictures of each team with their fish. 

After the tournament was done, we stopped by Clyde's Hamburgers for a delicious burger and malts.  Actually Tom likes the root beer shakes.  Clydes seem to be the only place he has ever had one.



While we were sitting there, we were treated to see the American Century.  She saluted the crowd on Rotary Island which made the sighting extra fun.






The American Century was formerly the Columbia Star.  Build in 1980, she became the Century in 2006.

The Edgar B. Speer and the James R. Barker, both 1,000 footers, are both in the river system.  The Speer is just north of  Neebish Island and will be here in a few minutes.  The Barker is approaching the Locks out of Superior.  It may be dark before she comes by here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE shots!!! Who'd have thought there'd be a ship jam?!

Laurie Thomas said...

Beautiful shots, great blog, this is so interesting!

Soo Boat Watcher said...

Cathy & Laurie, Thanks for the comments. I certainly enjoy taking pictures of the boats but I feel like I need to upgrade my camera.

Yesterday was the busiest shipping day I've seen all summer. So maybe another ship jam!

חבילות נופש said...

Wow this boat is impressive. The pictures are beautiful thanks for sharing