Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Day for 1,000 footers

According to my  research there are 13 footers, or 1,000 foot, boats on the Great Lakes.  I got my information from Know Your Ships.  Know Your Ships is the bible for boat watchers.  I've been using it since I was a young girl watching the boats from the same spot I do now.  It was my grandparent's place when I was small.  A new edition is published every year with the latest information on the boats that sail the Great Lakes.

 It was a wonderful day for boat watching. We had temperatures in the low 60's with a dew point at 37.  I could work in the yard while watching the boats and enjoy both activities. 

There were six 1,000 foot boats that passed by today. This afternoon,  two vessels from the Interlake Steamship Co. passed out front.  The Mesabi Miner was up bound and the James R. Barker was down bound.  They sounded a salute of one long and two short blasts.  I recorded the second salute.  I hope you enjoy the pictures of the James R. Barker and the Mesabi Miner.











I also saw the following boats today:

Walter J. McCarty Jr.
Edwin H. Gott
Quebecois
Sedna Desgagnes
Burns Harbor
Indiana Harbor


No comments: