Monday, November 3, 2008

Monday, November 10 is the 33rd anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald off Whitefish Point in Lake Superior.

There is a memorial service at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point at 7 PM that is open to the public and free.

You can see more information at Annual Fitzgerald Memorial Service.

I'm reading a great book on the Great Lakes right now. The Living Great Lakes by Jerry Dennis is the story of a sailing trip through the Great Lakes but it is more than that. I will discuss it more in a future blog. What good books have you read about the Great Lakes and/or the Edmund Fitzgerald? Let me know by commenting here or emailing me at saultboatwatcher@gmail.com.

Thanks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm relatively new to the boat-watching community (my fiance got me involved about a year and a half ago) so you probably know of this one, but I really recommend Robert Hemming's The Gales of November: The Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. It's very well-written and puts a human spin on the tragedy; reminding me not only of those who lost their lives but the families they left behind.